Wednesday, 7 September 2016

A Tale of One Lonely Gamer...


White Dwarf is back! Back to a monthly release that is, and it's packed full of interesting and varied articles again which I'm really excited about. It's almost a throw back to the White Dwarfs of the 90s with all the great battle reports, ad-hoc rules to add to your games and plenty of other fascinating tid-bits. It's given me a real sense of nostalgia and also an optimistic hope that Geedub are starting to acknowledge some of the marketing mistakes they have made in the past and are looking to correct them.

Now at first glance this may seem completely unrelated to the title of this post, however the more astute of you (or just plain old, let's be honest) will recognise the title as a reference to the 'Tale of Four Gamers' articles White Dwarf used to run from time to time. These articles have always been a favourite for most readers so it's probably no surprise that they decided to begin another series of these starting in their 1st issue of the 'new' monthly release White Dwarfs. If you've never heard of a Tale of Four Gamers and don't know what it is then I truly pity you, but for your sake I shall briefly elaborate on the concept.

A Tale of Four Gamers follows four gamers *shock* as they build, paint and game with a new army. There are usually rules about how they are to develop this army over a period of time and these rules have differed from one tale to the next. However the rules usually include something to define how many models they will have painted and what kind of games they need to have played by the end of each month.

In this most recent version the gamers are collecting Age of Sigmar armies and are required to paint a Start Collecting! box in the first month, then a unit of infantry in the second month, a monster in the third, a mighty hero in the fourth and something of their choice in the fifth month. Although it doesn't mention it in the article it's usually expected that they will get at least one game in over the month and report back on how they went.

So what's the point of all this? Well I thought this would be a great excuse to start my own Tale of Fo...er...One Gamer. Ok it's not quite the same I know but I really can't be arsed finding three other people to do this with me. So I figured I'd just go it alone and use the articles in White Dwarf to try and keep myself motivated.

So what's the plan then? What mighty fantasy army am I to build and paint? None actually, I figured I would instead paint my 40k Adeptus Mechanicus which has been sitting on a shelf for far too long. I don't think it's a big stretch to convert over the same principles, by my assessment it should be:

Month 1 - Start Collecting! Box
Month 2 - Unit of Infantry
Month 3 - Vehicle
Month 4 - A Mighty Hero (ok this one I'm not sure about)
Month 5 - Something of my choice

Alright so that's my plan, now I have to actually put in the time to make it happen which is always the hard part. However I have an idea for that as well. I figure if I publicly commit to this schedule and come up with some kind of punishment for failing I will be more likely to get it done. I have no idea what the punishment will be yet but I'm part of a close-knit Facebook community for 40k who I'm sure will have no trouble coming up with a good concept.

So that's me, I'll get another post up in due course with progress and the decided punishment if I fail. In the meantime I better break out the glue and paints...

September Goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment