Monday, 30 May 2016

The Angel's Revenge

Thom and I got together again for another spectacular showdown of 40k incompetence last weekend. After our last game Thom decided the problem with his army was that he simply did not have enough pods...so for this game he took 11!

I kept the same list but Thom took something along the lines of:

Pod with 5 Marines and Meltaguns x3
Pod with 5 Death Company
Pod with Furioso Dreadnought
Deathwind Drop Pod x 2
Pod with 5 Marines and Plasmaguns...possibly x2?
Pod with Corbulo...and something else maybe...never got on the board so not sure
Pod with 8 Marines and a Heavy Flamer

This was my cunning deployment to undo his pod strike!


Turns out it just made a nice neat little compound for Thom to pod-fence me with...


So when all the Melta pods came down my vehicles started popping all over the place. The resulting explosions even managed a couple of glancing hits on other vehicles just to rub some salt into the wounds. I tried to regroup into the corner of the table and focus fire against Thom's dispersed army. With some very unlucky armour rolls on Thom's behalf I cleared out two of the Melta teams, but after a string of '1's and '2's for penetration rolls with my Meltaguns I failed to knock over the Furioso holding me in the corner.

My Officer of the Fleet did a great job of delaying the pods with only two more coming down the following turn...


But unfortunately it was all a little too much for my Guardsmen who were starting to feel a little claustrophobic. Most vehicles had been popped by now...


And my infantry were becoming overrun as more Marines dropped out of the sky...


My last desperate attempt to clear a hole in the blockade was to fire my Deathstrike at Thom's units around the Furioso. However to add insult to injury the shot scattered 11" directly back onto my own troops. By the start of turn 3 it was very clear that Thom was just mopping me up. I had only three working vehicles left, two of which had lost their Multi-Lasers, and three infantry units, two of whom were about to be burnt to a crisp by a Heavy Flamer or butchered in combat by Death Company. Thom still had four pods to come down and was up by 6 game points with very little chance of me being able to grab any. I asked if Thom wanted to play on or if we should call it there and he graciously allowed me to pack up my models with a sliver of dignity left.

So what have I learned from this game? A few things actually, the benefit of getting completely pummelled is that you tend to learn more than when you win. So in my next game these are the things I am thinking about.

- Psykers...didn't use them so why do I have them? I got a friend to make me this list because I've been out of the game for so long and had no idea where to start. After playing a few games I am finding that I'm really not using my Psykers to the best of their ability because I really don't know how. They add another layer of complexity to the army that I just don't need when I'm trying to learn how to play again.

- Demolitions squad; I've yet to make good use of the Demo charge or Meltabombs so I'm questioning whether I really need these.

- Spread out against Drop Pods; I kept my infantry in their vehicles because I was afraid of Flamers coming down first turn all over them. In hindsight I think I should have deployed the infantry to spread out my deployment and put some distance between the Melta squads and my Basilisk which would have then allowed me to counter attack with the Earthshaker Cannon. Losing a squad of Guardsmen first turn would have been far more preferable to losing the Basilisk.

- Deathstrike; hero or heretic? We're 50/50 at the moment. I'm still not sold on this guy but shit he's fun. Definitely keeping him in just for the lolz.

In the end I have decided to drop the Primaris Psyker, Astropath, Sentinel and Demolitions upgrade on the Veterans in favour of a Vendetta with Lascannons. I've got a little more experience in using Flyers than I do Psykers so at least I kinda know what I'm doing there. Also it will give me some necessary anti-armour punch which I feel this list is sorely lacking.

So two more weeks until Maelstrom IX and I think I could squeeze in one, maybe two practice games with the new list. If nothing else I'm certainly finding playing these games is helping me get my head around the rules, which really was the intention to begin with. At the moment I'm pretty happy with how things are going and I'm confident that come 11th/12th June I will be familiar enough with the rules that I won't be that guy not finishing any games because he doesn't know what he's doing.

That's me for another post. Drop back in next week for another aimless rant. This time on something completely un40k related...


No comments:

Post a Comment