Tuesday, 19 April 2016

Book Review - Adeptus Mechanicus: Skitarius

Life has been busy as always so it's been a while since my last post. I have managed to pick my way through another book in between everything that's been going on so I thought I might put up a quick review.

I've started gluing together my Adeptus Mechanicus models so to keep me motivated on this path I thought I'd start reading the Mechanicus hardbacks I bought when the models were released back in early 2015. First up was the Skitarius novel...

Adeptus Mechanicus: Skitarius - Rob Sanders


I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this book, my worst fear was that it would be half written in binary, my greatest hope was that it would inspire me with great ideas and imagery of the Mechanicus for building my new army. At the end of the book I have to say it is more the later than the former.

Skitarius follows the journey of Alpha Primus Haldron-44 Stroika and his Skitarius army in besieging a Dark Mechanicus forge world. The development of characters takes an interesting path in this book. Most of the time Stroika is battling to repress his emotions in favour of the cold, calculated logic favoured in the ranks of the Mechanicus. Once Stroika and his peers are thrown into combat their Mechanicus Lords decide to take control using hard wiring linked directly to their minds. This removes free thought from the Skitarii making them automatons to their overlords. The result is that they become completely void of human fears but also lose the adaptability that comes from creative thinking. The storyline follows the tried and true path of; set the scene/central battle sequence/climactic finish. There are a few interesting turns along the way but nothing so immensely shocking to make you say WHAT THE FORK!?! I think George R.R Martin has inured most of us to dramatic plot twists these days anyway.

All up I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It gave an interesting view of the army of the Mechanicus showing a good balance between the human side and that of the machine. The Priests of the Mechanicus were a bit under-represented, but the book is deliberately set up so that this can be explored in the sequel; Adeptus Mechanicus: Tech-Priest. Guess what's next on the reading list...




No comments:

Post a Comment