Wednesday, 23 March 2016

Book Review in 300 Words or Less - The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Did I read that right? I hear you say...WTF!?! I hear you say...well if you're not sure what the gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is then here's a quick history from the source of all knowledge on the interwebs; Wikipedia.

I bought this book as one of those side purchases off UK Book Depository. You know when you are trying to navigate through the web of pop-up ads to the checkout so you can just pay for the damn thing you wanted to buy. Well this time round I got sold by a pop-up ad. I think I needed a few extra bucks to get free shipping or something and this looked like an amusing, cheap read.

So there it sat on the bookshelf for a good year or two until I was rummaging through my books some time in February trying to find something new to read. I pulled this book out and thought 'Haha, why not'.

The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster - Bobby Henderson



The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is a collection of various transcripts from Bobby Henderson and like minded Pastafarians. It includes the original open letter Henderson penned to the Kansas Education Board when they allowed Intelligent Design into their school curriculum as well as a number of other letters, mostly from scientists, who propose further beliefs or convictions of the church such as mathematical proof that the Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM) exists. There are other chapters highlighting the falseness of other religions through arguments from ignorance and there is also a guide on how to spread the word of the FSM through correct use of propaganda.

Throughout the book you will find interesting 'facts' proposed by the followers of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Facts like how global warming is inextricably linked to the decline in the global pirate population, or how gravity is a force created by the FSM holding us to the earth with his noodly appendages. There are also plenty of images (poorly photoshopped of course) which clearly show the FSM's influence upon mankind throughout the short history of the world. Oh yes that's another thing; the world is only a few thousand years old, all that carbon dating crap is just the FSM manipulating our scientific data with his noodly appendage.

In short this book makes for a very amusing read, as long as you can take religion with a bit of tongue in cheek. There were points where I found it becoming a bit crass, and other points where it just became downright confusing such as trying to prove the existence of a deity with math. But maybe that was the joke, what ever way it was intended the book is well worth a read.
Just a quick mention of Natcon to close off the post. I unfortunately haven't been able to get many pictures of models before I head off for Dunedin as I've been working long hours, meaning it's always night time when I'm at home. However I will make sure I get some photos while down there and post up a review this Monday. Until then just remember; we may share 99% of our genes with primates, but we share 99.9% of our genes with pirates...ponder that one over the long weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment