Sunday, 14 February 2016

Double down on the Big Brown!

It's been two weeks since my last post! Where the heck has the time gone!?!

When I think about it I'm not that surprised as it's been pretty busy of late. Sam and I were in Christchurch last weekend for an awesome wedding at the Clearwater Golf Course. It was a lot of fun and we're really happy for our friends to have finally tied the knot. The best part had to be the eel fishing; a few kids at the reception saw some eels in the pond below the clubrooms, so they decided to take one of the ribbons attached to the back of the chairs in the dining room and tie some leftover food onto it, then lower it into the pond to try and haul up an eel. It didn't work in the end but it was hilarious to see these kids fishing for eels at the wedding surrounded by a bunch of men with beers in their hands egging them on.

While I may not have achieved much at home lately I did manage to get in some burger time while in Christchurch. We flew in on the Thursday and touched down around lunchtime so pondered where to go for something to eat. We happened to be close to Riccarton so we thought we would stop in to Velvet Burger.

Now I'm a huge fan of Velvet Burger so it was a simple choice for me between The Stag (Venison and Blue Cheese) or the more traditional Big Brown Combo (Double Meat/Double Cheese burger and a can of Double Brown). In the end I decided to go traditional as it was a long awaited homecoming to Velvet Burger for me as we don't have one in Wellington yet. This was the awesomeness that was my Velvet Burger lunch:


The Big Brown is a good burger but it's not going to win any awards. It's a safe meat and cheese burger with aioli and relish. You get it more for the fact that a Big Brown and can of Double Brown, or 'Do'bro' as it's called, is a Velvet Burger tradition. The really interesting burger was Sam's pick; the Animal Rights.


The Animal Rights is Velvet Burger's vegetarian burger and given that Sam's previous experience with Velvet Burger has been a bit of a catastrophe I was a little worried when she decided to go for the vege burger. I have a stigma about vege burgers that they're a bit bland and tasteless, but in hindsight I shouldn't have worried. The Animal Rights is...

A-MAZ-ING!

This burger is made up of a kumara and coriander patty with salad, beetroot, mint yoghurt, aioli and relish. It tasted like some awesome refreshing curry burger! With a solid patty in there it lost none of the body of a normal burger and with the coriander in the patty and the mint yoghurt there was plenty of flavour to accompany all the other veges and sauces. I was truly blown away and next time I go to Velvet burger I think I'll get this one even over my beloved Stag Burger.

Velvet Burger have stores in Dunedin, Christchurch and Auckland so if you get a chance do drop in and try one of their burgers. Most of all, don't be afraid to give the vege burger a shot, you won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment