Sunday, 31 January 2016

How to eat an elephant...

...one bite at a time as the saying goes...



That's how this clean up of half started projects feels at the moment. I've been chipping away at a few things but it's starting to feel like the more work I do the more work I am creating for myself. I'll show you what I mean.

I had purchased the GW White Dwarf Vampire Slayer model over a year ago on an impulse (sounds familiar). If you don't know which model I mean it's this one:


I pulled him out of the half started pile the other day wondering what on earth I would use him for. After a time I came up with a solution; I could use him as a Dwarf Slayer for my Mordheim Witch Hunter warband. I thought this was a genius idea until I began painting him and realised that, not only could I not remember what colours I had painted my Witch Hunters, but also that they were painted with discontinued GW paints.

After three attempts this is as close as I got with the brown:


Now some people, most people probably, wouldn't care in the slightest. But I'm not most people and it's really gnawing the hell out of my OCD. In the end I've decided that for better or worse I'm going to repaint the whole warband and hence I have now replaced the work of painting one model with that of painting 15 models.

Damnit!

That being said there is a silver lining to this frustrating outcome; a lot of the metal models in the warband were becoming quite chipped from so much use, so to re-touch them without any memory of the process or paints that I used was going to make it a next to impossible task. So the silver lining is that with the re-paint I will now have a well painted Mordheim warband with a record of the colours used for any future touch-ups. And seeing as I painted these models over 10 years ago I should do a much better job of them. Surely my skills have improved over the last 10 years right?

Ok that's enough ranting for the week, it's time I took the next bite out of the elephant. I'll post up pictures of their progress as I go but as of next week the focus goes back on the Dystopian ships for Natcon 2016 so it might be a few weeks before you see these guys again. As I sign off I'll leave you with a photo of the warband as it used to be just for nostalgia's sake...


No comments:

Post a Comment