Sunday, 14 June 2015

Lego, Lego everywhere!

Again a long time between posts and below is the reason why...



As anyone who has moved house would know it provides a great excuse to declutter and clear out all that stuff you have never really used. Unfortunately for me I found that I had accumulated a lot more clutter than most. This is not really surprising as wargamers tend to be hoarders to a greater or lesser extent but it's one thing to just be aware of this and another to see it in a tangible form smacking you in the face.

The pictures display the current state of my study as I sort through all the various things I need to post on Trade Me. I'm proud to say that I have overcome the first hurdle and sold most of my Space Marines. As painful as it was at the time I am now much happier for it. Having one less project on my mind has improved my focus no end and I have jumped into the next decluttering task with gusto. I fear however that I have seriously underestimated the amount of work in this next task; for this month I decided to dedicate myself to sorting and selling my Lego...


It's safe to say that over the past 6 years mistakes have been made in relation to Lego purchases, especially when Sam and I visited Legoland in San Diego. I originally bought the clear plastic tub in the bottom photo to store my Lego thinking I would never fill it. But when the tub began to overflow and unopened boxes piled up in the garage with years of dust accumulating on them, I realised what had started as a single innocent purchase to kill time on a rainy day had somehow expanded into a serious addiction.

My goal at the moment is simply to get it all sorted by the end of the month, this is why you can see piles of similar colours sorted into various trays. Once I get through the sorting I am going to have to face the harsh task of selling it. Despite the pain of working towards this inevitable conclusion I have really enjoyed being able to build and play with Lego again. I've always found there is something magic about Lego that seems to be able to bring out a fun, creative and playful nature in people no matter what their age. And after spending the last couple of weeks clicking and clacking Lego bricks together I've come to the realisation that, while the vast majority will be purged, there will still be a few sets that have to stay...


No comments:

Post a Comment