Tuesday, 21 January 2014

What to do with a Saturday afternoon...

My friend Mark and I have long talked about having an Asia-off in Dystopian Wars with his Chinese fleet vs. my Japanese. Despite this we've never actually got round to making time for the game. Seeing as he is moving out of town soon he suggested we have a game before he left, so after some musing and contemplating we agreed we should play the Asian showdown as our last game in Christchurch. The date was set and the table prepared for a face-off between the two mightiest empires in Asia. All that was needed now was for the beer to be poured and the smack talk to begin...


I deployed my Japanese fleet with the big boats in the middle and the Frigates on the flanks.


Mark deployed the Guinness at either end of the table. He positioned his fleet on the table as well.


A close up of my fleet commander giving Mark's Chinese commander 'the eye'.


The game begins and Mark mercilessly guns down my Frigates with his Battleship...


The rest of my Frigates look for retribution...and get gunned down.


Second to last turn and there's not much left on the ocean.

In the end we had one ship left each. My Battleship was lining up Mark's last Cruiser and at that point we decided to call it a day. Both ships slunk into the mist as the failing light covered their tracks leaving two fleets of wreckage to sink to the bottom of the ocean.

It was great to be playing Dystopian Wars again and I think we're really starting to get the hang of the rules. Playing this game was so much fun and it has really built my anticipation for Southcon this year; I'm totally amped to be playing Dystopian Wars in a tournament again.

As a parting note for the evening here's a screenshot of another game between Mark and I. He had planned to go to the movies tonight but it was called off and I had planned to do some work but procrastination sounded like a much better idea. Here you can see my irrepressible Halflings of the Meadow Hills Half Pints taking on Mark's filthy Skaven of the Cheese Poofs. It was an interesting game with some bizarre dice rolls that ultimately ended up in a draw. Mark had some tough luck losing his Rat Ogre to a Treeman block on a Both Down result and the Half Pints came out of the match mostly unscathed despite a couple of injuries. Most importantly however I had two Halflings skill up! So beware the next player who has to take on the Half Pints; with two players now being able to Sprint up to three squares (yes that's a maximum 8 movement folks) my future opponent is going to have to move pretty fast to keep up with my plucky little guys.


That's it for now, there's a couple more photos to come for the Blood Bowl Humans and the Skaven Hell Pit Abomination. If I can find time over the weekend I'll get them posted up.

No comments:

Post a Comment