Wednesday, 15 January 2014

New Year's Resolutions

Another year gone and another year of goals to review. In typical fashion I have failed miserably at some but there are some great successes I can take from it also.

Last year I only set two goals which were 1) Finish the commission army of Dwarfs for a friend of mine and 2) Paint up models for the Gettysburg 150th anniversary game. While I succeeded at the former, which was a big project, I failed rather miserably at the later. I've still got the odd bit of commission work to do but the Dwarf army is ultimately finished. The American Civil War fell by the wayside unfortunately but I've possibly been given a second chance this year; the guy who organised the Gettysburg battle has talked about running a battle around June this year. He's talked about either a small game recreating the first day of Gettysburg or a bigger game recreating Antietam so fingers crossed one of them goes ahead.

It seems I've not been the only one setting painting goals from last year either. I recently received an e-mail from a friend in Dunedin giving me a re-cap of what he has been up to over the past year and while I won't go into great detail about it I can say that he showed far more discipline and focus than I. So not to be shown up I'm going to try and set a challenging but reachable number of painting goals for this year.

I've decided to base my painting around the tournaments I'm hoping to attend this year so here's a list of what I'm doing, where I'm going and what I want to get painted:

Capital Shield - This is a new Blood Bowl tournament being run early Feb in Wellington. For this event I'm hoping to get my half finished Human team painted up. Success!

Warclouds Over Woolston - This is a teams event run out of the Christchurch Wargaming Club in Woolston on Waitangi weekend in early Feb. I'm pretty keen to attend though I'm not sure if I'll be able to find a partner. If I do I'll be playing either Fantasy or 40k. Unfortunately given it's close proximity to the two Blood Bowl events either side of it I don't think I'll get much painted for it. I might make a commitment to getting a new character model painted. Fail!

Australian Team Championship - Another Blood Bowl tournament; this one held in Melbourne at the end of March. Each team is made up of three players and two others from Christchurch and myself have agreed to take a Stunty team to this event. Tim is taking Skink Lizards or Ogres, Gil is taking Goblins and I'm going to get my Halflings painted for this one.

American Civil War Thing - The ACW event was rumoured to be about mid year so I'd love to have my Confeds painted in time for this if it goes ahead.

Southcon - This is an annual event held in Dunedin which I unfortunately missed last year to attend a Blood Bowl event in Marlborough on the same weekend. I heard from the guys who attended last year that the Dystopian Wars competition was a whole lot of fun so this year I intend to go. My painting goal for this one will be to get my three Scout Gyros painted.

Greenstone Cup - This is a Blood Bowl event held late September in Auckland. Every year I've attended this has been a great event with some tough competition. My aim this year is to get my Lizardman team painted.

Conquest - Tim's event that he runs every year in late October and every year it brings in a big number of players. I have attended every Conquest since it's inception and I've always played 40k so I'll do the same again this year. The difference this year however is that I would like to bring a competitive army; so my challenge is to design, practice and paint a competitive Salamanders army that will get me into the top 10. Given that I'm not particularly interested in competitive gaming this is probably going to be the hardest challenge for me.

Brute Force - The West Coast 40k tournament run in November out of the Monteith's brewery. This is an amazing event and I'm hoping the guys run it again this year. If so I'll definitely be attending. My goal for this one would be to have one more unit or vehicle painted for the Salamanders.

Mainland Bowl - Christchurch's own Blood Bowl Tournament run in late November. It's a good format for a Necromantic team I think so my goal for this event is to finally have the entire Stillwater Stiffs team painted.

The plan is set and now all I have to do is enact it. Here is a shot of my first project; the 'East End Embers' - my Human Blood Bowl team. They've got a bit of work to be done but I'm pretty sure if I keep the painting neat and simple they'll be finished in time for Capital Shield and hopefully look pretty good to boot.


I'll try and post more updates this year as I know I've become a bit more lax about these things. Now I have a plan I should be more obliged to stick with it. We'll see how the next couple of weeks roll out. Being January I should be super motivated to make a good start to my New Year's Resolution right?...right?...

Ah we'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment