Monday, 7 January 2013

Where does the time go?

An all too familiar saying to a lot of us I'm sure. I'm posting now in January after my last post was stating I promised to make a bigger effort in November to get more posts on this blog each month. I guess it's safe to say I failed miserably at the end of the year, but now I've had a chance to review 2012 I can still find a number of successes.

One of my goals last year was to play more games and I have been doing this. In the past year I have won the local Blood Bowl League, I've run two Warhammer Fantasy Narrative Campaigns, which required a lot of play-testing, and in doing so reinvigorated a love for Fantasy, I entered four tournaments and performed miserably in all of them, but also enjoyed all of them thoroughly, and while I'm still struggling to complete painting projects the past year has definitely helped me finish some of those half started endeavours.

That is a neat segway into reviewing my other goal for 2012 which was all about completion. While I am struggling to see some big, bold, impressive results here I can certainly see some improvement. I did keep track of the models I had completed for a while and I will have ended up painting somewhere in the region of 100 models last year. This is a pretty massive tally for me. In terms of what I have fully completed there are a few smaller achievements I am proud of. I have a fully painted Undead Blood Bowl team, I have completed enough Warmachine models to play mangled metal games (photos for the last two models will be posted later this month) I've painted a fleet of Dwarf Man'O'War ships; I'll never use them but they're painted none the less. On top of all of that I have completed a lot of commission work and updated a number of different armies/teams/gangs. In terms of failures I think my biggest let down is losing momentum on the Vostroyans. While being disappointed with myself in that one area I have also learned a lot about how to motivate myself for painting so I know I will get back to them but I also know I first have to clear some of the backlog.

Goals for the New Year
Time to start planning goals for 2013 and from everything I've learned in the last year I'm dead set on where I need to go this year. I desperately want to clear some of the back log of models stored in my cupboard so I need to remain focused this year and finish the big projects slowly and steadily. For the first six months I have picked two.
The first is to finish my commission work for a friend's Dwarf army. I'm still not 100% sure how many more models he wants painted but I believe it's somewhere in the region of 60ish? I want this done by the end of June so I can review my goals and start focusing time on my own armies.
The second goal is this:

I have had a couple of boxes of Perry ACW models lying in the cupboard for a long time so the 150th anniversary of Gettysburg seems like the perfect excuse to get them painted I believe. But I'm not stopping there. My hope is to paint an entire Confederate division. That's about 200 models! This will be a big challenge for me and will put me very much outside my comfort zone. I'm going to have to learn to paint very, very fast which is not at all a natural state of affairs for me. I'm pretty nervous about this one but I think I'm off to a decent start having completed my first 10 Confeds in 4 days.


I'm going with the plan of painting 10 at a time in the same colour so I can get them done quickly. Each set of 10 will be a different colour to the last so when I have about 40 models I will be able to mix and match when basing them to create a more random look as the Confederates tended to be. So the first 10 butternut rebels are done and now it's on to the federal issue grey.

That's probably more than enough typing for a while. I'll get back to painting. Keep an eye out for more posts soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment