Friday, 22 June 2012

Stillwater Stiffs 10-0-1


Clearly it's been a long time since my last post so I really need to get back into it. I've been tied up with running a Fantasy Narrative Campaign and various other 'life' problems so it hasn't left much time to spare for posting. I haven't been idle though, I have got some stuff painted.

I've managed to get some paint on my Blood Bowl team, even to the point of finishing four Zombies. I've painted casualty markers for 40k, Squigs and Trolls for Fantasy, Mechanical Squids for Dystopian Wars and even a little bit of scenery building and repairs to earthquake damaged models. I'll get some photos of these over the weekend and start posting stuff bit by bit.

In the mean time I probably need to do a bit of a catch up on the local Blood Bowl league. The Stiffs remain undefeated and seem to be making a lot of enemies amongst the opposing coaches. Their high casualty differential has even persuaded the league commissoner to start putting bounties on some of my players. But New Zealanders are well known for their jealousy of those more successul; 'Tall Poppy Syndrome' as we call it, always wanting to drag us down to their level  ; )

In terms of games I've played three since my last post. We're going through the second round now so we're revisiting teams we've already played. The first on that list was Nick's Chaos Dwarf team: 'The Other Lot'. This was a bit of a mismatch caused by simply not having anyone else to play. Nick's team value was about 3 to 400 less than mine from memory so it was going to be an uphill battle for him. The final score was 4-0 to the Stiffs but the casualty count, while I can't remember the exact numbers, was a lot more even.

After that I faced the Mini Dragons of Doom for a second time. Gill scored early on in the game and it was starting to look rather bleak for me as I couldn't buy a decent dice roll and Gill's lizards were running circles around me. Over time however the law of averages did start to kick in and the Stiffs managed to claw back for a 2-1 victory. The casualty count in this game was much more even at 3-1 to the Stiffs compared with the 9-2 massacre of our first game. Gill played really well too and it cemented the reality that our first game was only a win because I got so lucky with the dice. If I want to stay top of the table I'll need to pick up my game.

My most recent game was last night against Tim's Norse team: the Norsica Brewers. I was really hoping to beat him into submission early so I was pretty aggresive on the line of scrimmage positioning five players there, four of whom had Mighty Blow. I managed to get the casualties to keep him on the back foot but my rather relaxed defence meant he got through twice with a passing play leaving the final score at 3-2. A bit too close for comfort. Once again a great game with Tim, he was always laughing, even after I killed two of his players, and he took great joy in knocking down and knocking-out my Mummies.

So that's the wrap up for Blood Bowl at the moment. As far as I can tell there should be another 5 round robin games and then we will either do another round or enter play-offs. I'll be a little more vigilant with posting and crack on to getting the team painted so I can get some pretty photos posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment