Wednesday, 22 February 2012

A day in mourning


Most people who read this blog are from Christchurch and so will understand why Feb 22nd is an important date. For those of you that don't know; Feb 22nd 2011 was the day that Christchurch was struck by a 6.3 earthquake killing 185 people. The irony is that this quake was an aftershock from a 7.1 earthquake about 6 months previous that caused a lot of damage but thankfully no fatalities.

If you live in Christchurch at the moment (or anywhere in New Zealand for that matter) you can't help but notice the influx of memorial documentaries and general conversation around the country about the quake, which is only to be expected on the anniversary of such an event. For me I found it kind of fitting that only a few days ago I had finished repairing and cleaning up several models damaged by the Feb 22nd Earthquake. This was entirely unintentional but once the realisation hit me I actually found it quite therapeutic. I'm even considering making it a tradition as I have enough damaged models to keep me going for 3 or 4 anniversaries to come. Anyway here's what I fixed this week:


This guy is from my Pit Slave Necromunda gang. I built this gang years ago, I think possibly even a decade ago, out of spare Catachan bits and whatever else I could find. Clearly my skill in painting was not quite at the same level back then that it is now. Add to that the fact that I don't think I've ever actually won a game with these guys and it makes me wonder why I keep them. I think it's probably because this gang were the first group of miniatures I had seriously tried to convert. Until then I had always assembled and painted models in much the same way as they were displayed in pictures on the box. These guys were my first great leap into creative modelling, and because of that I don't think I'll ever get rid of them.


The second model I repaired is my Warrior Priest for my Mordheim Witchhunter gang. Once again the painting is a far cry from my current standard as he is about as old as the Pit Slave above. If I remember correctly (and I may not as I am getting quite long in the tooth now) I built this Mordheim gang after the Pit Slave gang, kind of springboarding off a new found confidence in modelling. They are all modelled very loosely off the American Pilgrim style fashion from the 17th century. Once again I have grown very attached to this gang and in contrast to the Pit Slaves I have had  lot of success with them in gaming terms.

Anyway that's enough for now. It's 10:00am here and I need to get cleaned up and head into work to manage all the memorial events today. I hope today provides some comfort or solace to all of you through reflection on events past and if you have the chance, remember to put a flower in a road cone  ; )

2 comments:

  1. Nice right up and the ministures look as good as new

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mate. It's amazing what you can do with a little plastic glue and some warm soapy water and a toothbrush ; )

    ReplyDelete