Saturday, 19 November 2011

I've been busy - Salamanders

Well I said I have been busy with painting and today I have actually managed to snap a handful of photos. So now I can prove it's not just talk! However instead of posting them all at once and creating a massive, ridiculously long blog post I thought I might post them piece-meal over the next week or two.

So first up we have the Salamanders that I was painting for Conquest. I didn't get them all finished in time so what you're seeing is not the completed models but they were painted enough to get them on the tabletop. Please excuse the high shine in the photos. I use this army a lot for tournament gaming so I use a semi-gloss varnish on them to make them a bit more hardy.

This Chaplain model was sitting in a plastic bag for 6 months to a year with a few other metal models. He was about half finished when he went into the bag and when he came out he was a bit chipped and scratched so needed some TLC. He's mostly done now, just the backpack and the base to complete.


I had 3 Multi-Meltas already for my Salamander Army. However they were all the old models with metal arms and backpacks and because I use this army a lot for tournament gaming the daily wear and tear means they require a lot of touch up work on the metal parts. So I thought I'd use the tournament as an excuse to re-do these models in plastic which are much more durable for constant gaming. Still a little bit more to do on these guys; all small detail stuff like burn marks on the gun barrels, skin tone, purity seals etc. etc.


The command Squad has been sitting in a plastic bag even longer than the Chaplain. I think I started these guys about 2 or 3 years ago and then hit the wall with painting them. You know that point when you lose motivation and inspiration for a project and just can't be bothered anymore. So I thought Conquest was a good excuse to force myself through the tedious parts of painting these models and try to get them finished. They still require quite a bit of work: primarily on the banner, but I'll plod through them one at a time over Christmas.


Lastly we have the Assault squad. This was a squad of 10 but that's a little too many to photograph  up close so I've just set out 4 of them. These are the only models I have actually finished since the tournament. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out considering the focus for this army is always about painting them quickly and neatly for tournament gaming. I'm still struggling to understand how to use them well in games but with a bit more practice I'm sure I'll get the hang of it   : )


Ok that's all for now. I still have a Rat Ogre, a Dwarf Lord on Shieldbearers and some Vostroyans to post up so keep visiting. I'll get some photos up over the next couple of weeks.

2 comments:

  1. very well painted, however chaplain armour is more commonly black with a chapter shoulder pad.
    exceedingly well done otherwise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments. I painted him green because I didn't want to go with tradition. It always bothers me how Librarians and Chaplains never tie in with the rest of the army because of their colours. So I decided to take the opposite approach with green armour and black helmet and knees.

    ReplyDelete