Saturday, 19 November 2011

Dystopian Wars - The pain and the suffering...

So Jas asked if I wanted a game of Dystopian Wars. Jas is a mate who I haven't played any kind of wargame against in... well I'm not sure how long to be honest. So I was definitely keen. The only thing I wasn't that keen on was that Jas also played the Japanese so I thought Japs vs. Japs would be a pretty boring game. My flatmate Clinton then suggested I borrow his FSA fleet which I thought was a fantastic idea as it would make the game more interesting and I could learn more about another army's strengths and weaknesses at the same time.

Anyways the scene was set. Jas dropped by, we opened a few beers and started with the gaming. The below photo was a few turns into the game. My cunning plan was to wound his Frigates with long range rocket batteries and Turrets then finish them off before they could broadside me. I used the hill in the middle to hide my Frigates and Battleship until he closed range then pop out from behind it all guns blazing. From there I was going to focus on finishing off his Battleship and Cruisers. I've not used Bombers much yet so I thought I'd just charge up the middle with them and see what happens.


So all was going to plan. I had wiped out the Frigates and was able to move what was left of my Frigates and my Battleship on to deal with his Bombers and his Battleship while my Cruisers distracted his left flank long enough for me to sweep round and finish them off. Then it all turned to custard.

Oh my god I've never seen so many sixes. Jason's evil pink dice of evilness just kept rolling more and more sixes. For about 3 turns in a row they just kept coming up. Those evil little white dots on those horrible sharp edged, cheaply manufactured, pink, Taiwanese cubes.

So needless to say I lost, but not everything was bad. I definitely learned a lot about the strengths and weaknesses of not only the FSA army but also my own Japanese army. It was good to catch up with a mate I haven't seen in a while and it's always good to have an excuse to drink beer. So another drubbing and another lesson learned. Bring on the next game...minus the pink dice please.

7 comments:

  1. I like the "fire and smoke" effect.

    On a side note, I just recounted after reading the rules my skaven. So I have 996 points without the stormvermin I want, the second island of blood set minus rat ogres, and the battalion clanrats and giant rat packs.

    Want some giant rat packs? ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always keen for Giant Rats! I'll work out a trade with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nathan,

    Thanks for the game, it was great to catch up and I learnt alot about the game as well!

    I have decided to retire the Pink Dice of Doom from DW...they are just too nuts.

    Prussian Starter fleet is undercoated...perhaps a rematch is in order sometime?

    Cheers
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good mate. I'll bring out the Japs. I know I can lose with a red army, you just won't be able to keep up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps another 4 way with Prussians, FSA, Japs, and Anatartica?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could be good. We should organise it in about a month's time.

    ReplyDelete